June 10, 2017
If I EAT ON THE LEFT SIDE (WHERE THERE IS PAIN)_ IT HURTS LESS
STOP CHEWING AND ONLY SWALLOW FOOD.
Jaw muscle is clenched tight.
STOP ANY THING THAT MAKES THE JAW POP
HEAT IT AND ICE IT
FIRST STUDY THE ANATOMY
IN MY VIEW THE SINGLE BEST ADVICE HIS THIS:
THESE OTHERS ARE OK as SUPPLEMENTARY ADVICE.
How to Eat Right When Temporomandibular Joint Pain Flares Up
- Take small bites
- Chew slowly
- Cut all foods into bite-size pieces
- Limit jaw opening to the extent that is comfortable
- Select moist foods or use gravies or sauces to moisten foods
- Chop whole foods to consistencies that can be comfortably tolerated
- Peel fruits and vegetables that have skin
Food Preparation Tips for People With TMD
- Peel all fruits with hard or chewy skin (example: apples, peaches, plums, pears).
- Chop whole (peeled) fruits.
- Use the blender to puree or “sauce” any fruits.
- Make smoothies with peeled fruits in the blender, adding ice, milk or yogurt.
- Wash, steam, or cook greens such as spinach, chard, kale, or collards for 2 to 3 minutes, finely chop into a ribbon-like thickness.
- Chop tomatoes.
- Peel and finely chop cucumbers.
- Peel and either shred or finely chop or mince root vegetables like carrots, parsnips, or beets. If chopped, cook after chopping.
- Cook broccoli, cauliflower, or other similar vegetables until tender, then chop.
- Juice or make smoothies with any vegetables by following the juicing machine instructions.
- Make vegetable soups and purees.
- Peel, cook until tender, and chop other vegetables with skin.
- Cook, chop, and mash potatoes (white or sweet).
- Try purchasing commercial vegetable or tomato juices.
Legumes & Nuts
- Cook and mash or puree legumes that are larger than the size of a pea.
- Use nut butters (any nuts can be used).
- Cook poultry or meats until tender; moisten with broth, gravies, or other sauces; cut into bite-size pieces.
- Cook and cut fish into bite-size pieces, soften with sauces as desired; make tuna salad.
- Chop tofu and tempeh into bite-size pieces; tempeh may need moistening.
- Consume all milk products, yogurt, and cheese as tolerated.
- If unable to eat protein foods or nut butters, try alternatives such as meal replacement beverages (example: instant breakfast and whey protein beverages or powder).
- Prepare hot cereals.
- Try couscous, quinoa, farro, rice, and other cooked grains.
- Cook orzo and other small pasta until tender.
- Cut thin toast into small pieces.